The technology sphere is changing day by day. The traditional approach where organization(s) had to buy their own network, purchase software license(s) is now being replaced with cloud computing. In cloud computing, organization(s) use the machines, software license(s) on demand basis and they pay for hours only when the resources are used. On top of it, they also get the benefit that the machines are available across the world. Cloud is the only solution, if performance testing needs to be performed from different Geographical locations. Cloud based performance testing solutions provide distinct advantages in terms of speed, scalability and availability of on demand test labs without much investment or efforts. Our experts have provided information like tips on cloud based performance testing and tool selection in this quarterly performance testing newsletter. Hopefully, you will like it.
“Cloud is where you have all the complexity, all the right servers, the right number of users, and you get more feedback on the problem.”
- Sven Hammar
The Neoload has released Neoload 6.0 version with the following features:
- Share test results easily with web-based SaaS (Software as a service) interface
- Allows to mix multiple KPIs in the same graph (e.g. average transaction time, average request response time, and total transaction failed)
- Monitor tests in real-time when executed from a Continuous Integration
The StresStimulus team has released v4.6 version with following new features:
- Replay sessions to view the server's response to ensure that the requests are correctly constructed
- Add time-stamp to the recorded test case
- Add description stating reason of changes made in the test script
- Replay test case at a slower pace to validate recorded script
Tools Evaluated By Team
LoadStorm pro offers cloud based performance testing services including traffic from different geographical locations like US, Ireland, Singapore and many more. As the script is recorded using a developer tool so it is closer to real user behavior.
- Evaluated for running load test from a globally distributed cloud platform
- Provides interactive graphs for KPI(s) like requests per second, concurrent users, peak response time, throughput, % errors and many more
- Run load tests up to 1,000,000 concurrent VUsers
- Supports HAR (HTTP Archive file) and XML file formats for recorded test scripts
- No knowledge of scripting language is required
Loadster can be used in both private and cloud networks, to run distributed load tests. The same load test scripts can be used in both the environments, which saves user's time in new scripts creation. This is helpful when performance testing needs to be performed in both private and cloud networks.
- Evaluated for generating load test from different geographical locations
- Generates load from North America, Europe, Asia, South America and Australia
- View response graph of any of the inbuilt KPI(s) in a single click on Dashboard (Response Times, Network Throughput, Transaction Throughput and many more)
- Export test results in HTML format
- View live performance graphs
- Save results in Loadster repository for future reference
5 Key points for cloud based performance testing:
- Cloud based Load testing tool(s) must haves:
- Capability to integrate with multiple cloud platforms
- Bandwidth throttling to validate the speed at which real user access the application
- Support both lab and cloud testing to reuse the same scripts
- Provide detailed performance report for better analysis
- First perform the test in an internal environment with medium load to identify the preliminary performance issues then move to cloud based environment for real-time testing
- Ensure that data sent & retrieved from load generators is encrypted and load generators should have their own firewalls to protect them from outside security risks
- Use various cloud providers to execute tests from various geographical locations
- Allocate an appropriate heap size to avoid any run time issue in case large number of virtual users are required
We would love to hear your feedback, questions, comments and suggestions. This will help us to make Perfcast better and more useful next time.
Share your thoughts and ideas at email@example.com
The logos used in this post are owned by the individual companies of each logo or trademark. The logo is not authorized by, sponsored by, or associated with the trademark owner, but QASource is using the logos only for reviewing purposes. The endorsement of the used logos by QASource is neither intended nor implied.