QTP is commonly used in quality assurance companies, and it is particularly well suited to testing.
Smart Identification: If QTP cannot find any object that matches the learned object description, or if it finds multiple objects that match the description, it ignores the learned description and instead uses Visual Relation Identifiers (VRI) to uniquely identify an object. If VRI is not defined or if VRI is unable to uniquely identify the object, QTP uses the Smart Identification technique to try to identify the object. Smart Identification is more sophisticated than traditional identification, but it is also more versatile. As a result, even if the learned description fails, a Smart Identification definition can most likely assist QTP in locating an object if it exists.
In the Smart Identification mechanism, two kinds of properties are used:
- Base Filter Properties: The most fundamental features of a test object class are those whose values cannot be changed without changing the core of the original object.
- Optional Filter Properties: Properties that can be used to identify objects that belong to a given class. Although these features are unlikely to change regularly, they can be ignored if they are no longer relevant.
Enabling Smart Identification in QTP:
- On the QTP menu, go to Tools → Object Identification.
- Choose the Environment and the Object Class to Test.
- Select 'Enable Smart Identification' from the drop-down menu. Please check the box.
- Click Configure to select the Base and Optional Filter Properties.
- Customize your properties.
- Go to the Object Repository to see if Smart Identification is enabled.
- Check to make sure: Add the enabled object to the Object Repository (OR) and make sure Enable Smart Identification (ESI) is set to True under Object Properties → Additional Details → Enable Smart Identification (ESI). Enable Smart Identification (ESI) will be deactivated if it is not set to True.
Disabling Smart Identification:
- To disable Smart Identification, go to File → Settings → Run
- Select ‘Disable Smart Identification during the run session’ Dialog box