Charles Proxy: Enables the communication between the application and the internet. Recording is the primary function of Charles. Requests and responses are recorded of the current session to inspect and analyze.
Setup of Charles Proxy on Desktop:
- Install Charles application on your computer.
- In Charles application go to the 'Help' menu then select 'SSL Proxying > Install Charles Root Certificate'. A window will be displayed warning you that the CA Root certificate is not trusted. Click on the 'Install Certificate' button in order to launch the Certificate.
- Now, Go to 'Proxy->SSL Proxy Settings' and add the valid application URL(Say: *Google*).
Setup of Charles Proxy on iOS:
- Go to the Settings app, tap Wi-Fi, find the network you are connected to and then tap the blue 'info' icon to configure the network.
- Now, scroll down to the HTTP Proxy setting and tap 'Manual' option.
- In the "Server" field and "Port" field, enter the IP address and Port (usually 8888) of the computer on which Charles is running. Leave Authentication set to Off.
- After saving the Network settings in your iPhone, the Charles proxy tool will display an alert dialog box asking if you want to allow connection from the mobile then select the 'Allow' button to continue.
- Open Safari in the iPhone and browse to 'Charles Web Debugging Proxy • SSL CA Certificate installation' a prompt appears to install the SSL certificate.
- Now, open the Settings app of the iPhone device and navigate to "General" >> "About" >> "Certificate Trust Settings".
- Find the downloaded "Charles Proxy CA" certificate, then tap on it and switch it on to enable full trust for it.
- Setup is now completed and can be used for monitoring the traffic of your iPhone in the Charles proxy tool.