Smartphones today have evolved from merely a communication device to a multi-functional tool which makes life easier. A study by Statista reveals that 4.93 billion people use smartphone applications for daily needs, banking, video streaming, antivirus, and much more.
This outspread of smartphones creates the need for effective performance testing of mobile applications. For example, if a person is seeking help through a healthcare application to call an ambulance, the slow responding application could lead to loss of life.
Business success is also related to performance of a smartphone application and any slowness in the application's transaction could lead to an opportunity for their competitors. Hence, we have come up with useful information about performance testing for mobile apps and evaluated “LoadView” – a performance testing tool.
“Only conducting performance testing at the conclusion of system or functional testing is like conducting a diagnostic blood test on a patient who is already dead.”
- Scott Barber
Apache JMeter 4.0 has been released with following new features:
- This latest version supports Java 9
- Cookies are now displayed in “View Results Tree” during recording
- Newly added enhancements:
- “JSON” assertion for JSON response
- “If Controller” now uses by default Expression
- “__dateTimeConvert” function provides conversion between date formats
- “__isVarDefined” and “__isPropDefined” provide testing of properties and variables availability
SmartBear has released LoadComplete 4.80 with following new features:
- Faster data transfer between client and tested servers useful in broadcasting video or audio content tests
- Get errors details during test run rather on test completion
- User can now define single or multiple transactions in user scenarios
- New Metrics:
- 95 Percent Response Time, 98 Percent Response Time and 99 Percent Response Time
- Warnings Percentage and Errors Percentage
LoadView is a cloud-based paid tool with multi-browser support and advanced scripting in 40+ mobile and desktop browsers.
- EveryStep Scripting Tool is convenient to use and generates scripts for later use with LoadView
- Device Calibration feature gets accurate number of virtual users per load injector server
- Various optional packages are available for monitoring servers, networks, and web-browser performance
- Reliable cloud infrastructure without downtime
- Alerts notifications via customizable user groups and schedules
- Supports a wide range of mobile browsers and devices including iPhones, iPads, BlackBerry phones, Android phones and tablets, Google devices, Nokia phones, and Amazon Kindles
- Dedicated support team which continuously follows up by emails
5 Key Points for Mobile Performance Testing
- Generate performance tests directly from mobile devices if your application has separate mobile and web interfaces
- Customize agent header in the request body to distinguish between web browser and mobile devices
- Use different network operators to generate load as real world mobile users use different mobile operators
- Simulate the various network types like Wi-Fi, 4G, and 3G
- Generate load from different geographical locations for a realistic load test
We would love to hear your feedback, questions, comments and suggestions. This will help us to make PerfCast better and more useful next time.
Share your thoughts and ideas at firstname.lastname@example.org
The logos used in this post are owned by the individual companies of each logo or trademark. The logo is not authorized by, sponsored by, or associated with the trademark owner, but QASource is using the logos only for reviewing purposes. The endorsement of the used logos by QASource is neither intended nor implied.