Blockchain, the technology supporting cryptocurrencies, seems to be the driving technology for the next generation of Internet. Blockchain is a novel solution to the age-old problem of trust. It allows to trust the outputs of the system without trusting any institutional body in between. As techies and experts contemplate the potential ramifications both good and bad, lets talk about more about test automation part of it.
Test Automation Approach To Blockchain
Blockchain technology wide-spreads into almost every industry - from public to supply chain to energy and entertainment. This is probably because of “Decentralized Ledger” - which eliminates the risk included with the centralization of data. Here is how blockchain is influencing different industries since 2015.
U.S. Blockchain Technology Market Size, By Application, 2015-2024 (USD Mn)
Reduced Transaction Costs
User Control Networks
Agile Transaction Settlements
Cost-effective Supply Chain Management
Peer-to-peer Global Transactions
Distributed And Shared
After understanding the growing market size and architecture of blockchain technology, let’s dive into how test automation can be achieved in this technology in order to achieve a successful blockchain app.
Use Cases To Target While Planning For Blockchain Test Automation
Blockchain is altogether a different platform when compared to the existing centralized ways of storing data. Testing data integrity and security is important, both on individual nodes and as seen from application front end. Automation should focus on the following cases:
Creation of a new transaction
Rollback of unsuccessful transactions
Handling over-sized blocks
Node failover scenarios
Secure data transmission of transaction hash codes
Block insertion as per SLA
Bulk insertion of blocks
Data integrity and availability scenarios like:
- Transaction success, determining withdrawal, and deposit events
- Insufficient funds in accounts
- Boundary value tests for cost of migrating smart contracts and minimum value transactions
- Double check new transactions when one is pending, account running low on balance
- APIs /web services working on application backend for carrying out transactions
Tools For Automating Blockchain Apps
Testing the blockchain apps require some tools for providing dummy Ethereum server and accounts with balance. Following are the recommended tools available which aids both development and testing of blockchain technology:
Tips And Tricks While Planning Automation
- Ensure your system has any of the automation tools defined above and Ethereum server running
- Ensure your accounts have enough Ethereum balance to carry out transactions before each test
- Ensure that the contract is migrated on blockchain
- Choose the language that best suits your requirements
- Choose an appropriate IDE like Remix IDE to develop your solidity test scripts
- Smart contracts are immutable; write your tests in an organized way
Blockchain may seem very shiny and easy to adopt. However, it’s really important to understand the current application and implementation of blockchain technology which will help determine the growth path and future challenges while planning its test automation.
We would love to hear your feedback, questions, comments, and suggestions. This will help us to make AutoCast better and more useful next time.
Share your thoughts and ideas at email@example.com