Smartphones have not only moved every job or business online, but also placed technology on our palm. Industries like eCommerce, entertainment, and social media today rely on mobile technologies. Hence, slowness in mobile app would not only hamper a company’s reputation, but also affect its customer’s base.
Since, the applications establish a direct connection with customers, accuracy and speed are critical. Our latest edition of performance testing talks about the need and ways of comprehensive mobile performance testing.
“The future of mobile is the future of online. This is how people access online content."
- David Murphy, Founder and Editor at Mobile Marketing Daily
Mobile Internet Usage: App vs Browser
eMarketer predicted that smartphone users will spend about 4 hours per day online, and 88% of that time will be spent in mobile apps. As the use of smart phones and mobile apps continue to rise, it's even more important that mobile apps are optimized.
Impact of Slow Mobile App
- High end configuration device increases consumer budget
- Faster network requirement keeps 2G users away from mobile app usage
- Downgrades app ratings
Mobile App Performance Testing Ensures
- High User Retention Rate
- Higher App Ratings
- Increased Revenue
- Sustained Brand Value
- Better User Experience
Mobile Application Types
- Only browser is required
- Internet speed is a major performance factor
- Built using software development tools (JDK for Android and iOS SDK for iOS app)
- Easy to integrate features like GPS and Sensors
- Single code base for multiple mobile OS using technologies like React Native or Xamarin
- Web technology (CSS 3 and HTML 5) usage makes development easy
Objective and Key Scenarios
Mobile Device Performance
- Memory and CPU consumption
- Application behavior on different devices.
(Like slow on Android but faster on iOS)
- Mobile app startup time
- Impact on parallel running applications
- Battery consumption
- Map all back end subsequent requests in the same sequence
- Test all API types like Rest and Soap
- Switch to backup server in case of main server failure
Tips To Improve Mobile App Performance
- Data caching
- Compress data
- Re-use data templates
- Reduce unwanted backend calls
- Avoid additional data load
- Avoiding Flash component
- Load images in CSS
We would love to hear your feedback, questions, comments and suggestions. This will help us to make us better and more useful next time.
Share your thoughts and ideas at firstname.lastname@example.org