Our team has spent time evaluating tools and technologies to automate desktop applications and therefore, came up with this expert series that can help you to stay ahead with the latest trends in desktop application automation.
Latest news on software tools and technologies from the Experts!
Did You Know?
UFT 12.5 Improvements
- Support for embedded FlexTreeView controls
- Support for SAPUI5 in Chrome and Firefox
- Support of buttons and drop down lists in SiebelOpenUI
- Support for menus in an Oracle application
- Environment support for PowerBuilder 12.6, ASP.NET AJAX 4.1.5, Google Web Toolkit (GWT) 2 etc.
TestComplete 12.0 Improvements
- Support for Telerik controls for Windows Forms
- Support for Developer Express controls for Windows Forms 15.2 and 16.1
- Support for Yahoo! User Interface Library (YUI) controls 3.15 - 3.18.1
- Support for Sencha Ext JS controls 6.0.2
- Support for Google Web Toolkit (GWT) controls 2.6.1 and 2.7.0
- Support for Oracle Forms 11g and 12c
Ranorex is an automated testing tool for desktop, web and mobile applications.
- Supports .NET, WPF, Windows Forms, Qt, Java, SAPgui, Delphi, HTML5, Flash, Flex, Silverlight, iOS, Android, Windows Apps (Native / Hybrid / Mobile Web) and many more
- Automatic UI object synchronization
- Support of all well-known 3rd party controls (Telerik, ComponentOne, DevExpress, Infragistics controls, etc.)
- Supports web UI frameworks (GWT, YUI, jQuery, Silverlight)
- Provides integration with CI tools (e.g. Bamboo), test management tools (e.g. HP ALM)
Allure Test Report
Yandex's Allure Framework is a flexible lightweight multi-language test report tool which provides a modular architecture.
- Screenshots on failure
- Recording logs, informative web reports with interactive dashboard
- Store attachments, steps and parameters
- Support for Cucumber, TestNG and Jasmine
- Information about defects revealed during test execution
- Provides cross language support
- Provides report integration with CI and Build tools like Jenkins, Bamboo, Maven, Gradle etc.
Key Take-aways for Desktop application automation using TestComplete:
- Disable Test Visualizer as it stores images which requires additional time and disk space
- To increase execution speed, select only required applications from Process Filter dialog
- For better object recognition enable Microsoft Active Accessibility (MSAA), add WMPAppHost class name to list of accepted windows, or simply enable '*'
- Use Text Recognition plugin to enable recognition of GUI objects by their text and perform operations to manipulate them
We would love to hear your feedback, questions, comments and suggestions. This will help us to make us better and more useful next time.
Share your thoughts and ideas at firstname.lastname@example.org