In this era of AI, machine learning and IoT, APIs are playing a crucial role in enabling these complex technologies provide intelligent and seamless user experience. APIs are emerging at a rapid pace. The current metrics show a market of 20 billion connected devices around the world, and this number is forecast to grow more than 50 billion by 2020. All these devices are connected through APIs, which makes it a raw material for the connected world.
Many leading web applications are moving their web experience toward APIs because the independence and modularity of APIs are helping to speed-up development processes and improve productivity in complex technologies. About a few years ago, the trend was mobile first, followed by web, and then came the APIs. Today, the trends have inclined towards APIs first, then mobile, and finally the web. This shift has driven us towards making API testing the theme of this newsletter for our readers.
Latest news on software tools and technologies from the experts!
Do You Know?
Postman 6.0 now supports Key Collaboration Feature for API development
Swagger team announced their first official 2.0.0 release with enhanced rc4 support for OpenAPI 3.0’s main features
ReadyAPI 2.3.0 added new security standards for API security testing and authentication, which simplifies license management for enterprise users through enhanced LDAP support
Swagger Inspector is an open source, manual API testing tool which can easily test an API and create API definitions based on OpenAPI specifications.
- One unique feature Swagger provides is that it instantly generates OpenAPI documentation for any API
- Easily test API endpoints with required parameters and authentication
- Swagger Inspector helps developers to validate existing API designs and functionality before integrating those APIs in their existing code
vREST is an online automation API testing tool. It provides an online solution for testing, mocking and, automated recording of HTTP APIs/REST/RESTful APIs.
- Automatic generation of API documentation based on the specifications
- Separate utility for database validation
- Ability to execute test cases on command line as well as GUI
- Scheduling of test cases with the help of vrunner module
- Predefined validators and assertions to validate the dynamic response
- Integration support for third-party tools like JIRA, Slack, Jenkins, TeamCity, etc.
API Fortress is an automated web-based API testing and monitoring platform to test the performance and quality of APIs - it helps automation teams evaluate API accuracy, simulate the load and monitor performance.
- Automatically generate test scripts using a wizard ("Magic" button), which also includes the assertions
- It does not require any coding to perform API testing, therefore, anybody with basic API knowledge can automate API tests
- It is a complete web-based platform running on the cloud
- Notifications of failures and performance issues can be easily received via emails and messages
- It can integrate with multiple third-party tools like Jenkins, Slack, and BigPanda
HttpMaster is a web development tool that can be used to automate testing of RESTful Web Services, API applications and websites.
- "Friendly" UI for different types of response data e.g. JSON, XML, HTML, and images
- Execute requests against different web servers and monitor response data
- Dynamic parameters of various data types which automatically generate and execute many different HTTP requests in a batch
- Parses existing HTML content during testing website forms to automatically build request body with optional dynamic parameters
- HttpMaster project to store complete definition of request items (e.g. API calls) in one single place
We would love to hear your feedback, questions, comments and suggestions. This will help us to make us better and more useful next time.
Share your thoughts and ideas at email@example.com
The information contained in this newsletter is for general information purposes only. All the information have been collected from blogs, tools' websites, forums, through our research etc. and we have made utmost effort to keep the information up to date and relevant.